Dec 11, 2015

365 Days, 365 Movies: September [Charlie's Angels]

You guys! Watching an average of one movie a day has been a glorious experiment, but I'm almost positive that it's making me a dumber person. My reflexes are slower, my reading skills are diminished, and sometimes I space out for minutes at a time. I might be getting more film-literate, but at what cost!? Anyway, I still thought I would do a post about the movies that I watched way back in September, so that, if I end up turning into a real dumb-dumb, someone will be able to track my descent into dunce-hood through this blog.

September was the most fruitful month for me in terms of the amount of movies watched -- 62 in 30 days! I very quickly decided that my theme was going to be the films of the women and men of Charlie's Angels, the 2000 movie starring Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz, and Lucy Liu. Surprisingly, there were a lot of films by those three women that I hadn't seen. Additionally, I watched the films of Bill Murray and Luke Wilson, because they're both fairly important to the movie as well.  Below are the movies I saw from each of them, and my thoughts on their filmography so far. Of the 62 movies I watched in September, 30 of them included some member of the Charlie's Angels family:

Luke Wilson
Films Watched: 5
Luke Wilson was never a top actor for me, until I saw him in HBO's Enlightened, where his handsome everyman shtick was played to best effect. It wasn't that he became a better actor on the show. It's that the show highlighted how good of an actor he's always been.

Drew Barrymore: 90s Flower Child
Drew Barrymore
Films Watched: 8
I've always been a big fan of Drew Barrymore, to the point where I even love some of her more regrettable films (I've seen Duplex more than a few times -- you know, the movie where she and Ben Stiller try to kill a woman). While she's not the most talented actress in the world, she is incredibly likable onscreen, and her staying power in Hollywood is admirable.  Also, she's a fascinating mix of hippie and dark-twisted soul.



Cam-ron D wants to be your best friend.
Cameron Diaz
Films Watched: 8
One thing I'll say for Cameron Diaz is that she never phones in a performance. That woman commits to a part in mind, body, and soul.  I watched quite a few clunkers starring Ms. Diaz. and you can't deny that she is giving it her all. She's the female Tom Cruise.

Lucy Liu
Films Watched: 9
Man, Lucy Liu is not served well by movies. Apart from a few choice roles, she basically plays Asian stereotype after Asian stereotype in films; she's the mysterious femme fatale, the Kung Fu master, the prostitute.  I first fell in love with Liu in Ally McBeal, and it's clear from looking at her filmography that she definitely shines more in television than movies, because movie-makers don't know what to do with her.

Bill Murray
Films Watched: 10
What is there to say about Bill Murray that hasn't been said a million times over? He commands the screen, and it was a delight to watch many of his early movies that I hadn't seen before.
Tootsie is so good, you guys.

MOVIES
62 Films in September, 314 Total in 2015
(41 MOVIES AHEAD OF SCHEDULE!!!)
New Releases are Bolded, Charlie's Angels actors are listed as
 CD (Diaz), DB (Barrymore), LL (Liu), LW (Wilson), and BM (Murray)

Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle (2000)
American Ultra (2015)
Ashby (2015)
Ballistic: Ecks Vs. Sever (2002) - LL
Best In Show (2000)
Lucy Liu in like
5 different movies
Big Miracle (2012) - DB
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)
Brewster's Millions (1945)
Charlie's Angels (2000) - LL, DB, CD, BM, LW
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (2003) - LL, DB, CD, LW
Code Name: The Cleaner (2007) - LL
Coffee & Cigarettes (2003) - BM
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002) - DB
Cypher (2002) - LL
Ed Wood (1994) - BM
Emma (1996)
Everybody's Fine (2009) - DB
The Faculty (1998)
Fever Pitch (2005) - DB
Gambit (2012) - CD
The Green Hornet (2011) - CD
Gridlock'd (1997) - LL
Hercules (1983)
Hitman: Agent 47 (2015)
Home Fries (1998) - DB, LW
Hot Rod (2007)
Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015)
I'll See You In My Dreams (2015)
The Intern (2015)
Leap Year (2010)
The Legend of Hercules (2014)
A Life Less Ordinary (1997) - CD
Loitering With Intent (2015)
Lucky Number Slevin (2006) - LL
Mad Dog & Glory (1993) - BM
Man Up (2015) -- Not out in the US yet, and so funny.
The Mask (1994) - CD
Meatballs (1979) - BM
Men at Work (1990)
Mortdecai (2015)
Mr. Mom (1983)
Quick Change (1990) - BM
Ride (2015) - LW
Rushmore (1998) - BM, LW
Serendipity (2005)
Sex Tape (2014) - CD
Shanghai Noon (1999) - LL
Spermula (1976)
State Fair (1945)
Stripes (1981) - BM
Such Good People (2014)
The Tale of Princess Kaguya (2014) - LL
Teacher of the Year (2014)
Teen Lust (1979)
Tootsie (1982) - BM
Twins (1988)
What Happens in Vegas (2008) - CD
Wildfire (2015)
Wishful Thinking (1997) - DB
Yours, Mine & Ours (2005)
Zathura (2005)
Zoom: Academy of Superheroes (2006)

Just wait until you see what shenanigans I got into in October and November!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...