Apr 16, 2013

My Cousins Review 'Oz the Great and Powerful'

Oz the Great and Powerful
I really couldn't think of anything to say about Sam Raimi's Oz the Great and Powerful. Even after seeing it twice, I just feel kind of 'meh' about the whole thing. I think that the film had beautiful parts, that James Franco was inconsistently interesting, that the Tim-Burton-Alice-in-Wonderland aesthetic felt overplayed, and that Michelle Williams was lovely, but I couldn't figure out how to bring those ideas into a cohesive review. So, I enlisted my cousins (Ages 12 and 10, respectively) to review the film for me.  They are, as always, better at this than I am (MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW):


So, what did you think of the movie? Did you like it?

Cousin #1: I liked it a lot.

Cousin #2: I liked it too, but…

What did you think about Oz (James Franco)?

C2: I think Oz had too many affairs. He's with four women in the movie. 

C1: Three. 

C2: No, four. Two in the beginning and two in the Oz part.

C1: He's supposed to be great and powerful, but he'd probably have an affair with that little China Girl if he could.

C2: Gross.

C1: What? He was nice, but he was also a liar, so... it's complicated

Who was your favorite character? 

C2: I liked Finley (Zach Braff), the flying monkey. He was funny. 

C1: I liked the little China Girl. She was cute. And her voice sounded familiar. 

I don’t think you know her. I think it’s the voice of the girl in the beginning of the movie? 

C2: The 'please make me walk' girl? 

Yeah. So, who was your favorite non--CGI character?

C1: Glinda. She seemed nice and smart. 

C2: Yep. 

C1: Plus, she was Amy Adams.

No, she's Michelle Williams. 

C1: Oh she looked like Amy Adams. 

C2: She seemed like a normal person with a wand. 

C1: No, the China Girl was the most normal. 

The talking doll was the most normal? 

C1: In this movie, yes. 

What was your favorite part or the scariest part? 

C2: I liked when Theodora (Mila Kunis) turned into a bad witch. It was so intense when she walked and ripped off her clothes and her necklace. 

C1: I was disappointed when Mila Kunis turned into an evil witch. I thought she was good at playing good, but I was sad to see that she gave into her evilness. I think that she did it because Oz wasn't in love with her, and that isn't enough reason. Also, why did she eat an apple to change? This isn't Snow White. Also, her sister (Rachel Weisz) says that the apple will get rid of her problems, but she really only has one problem. 

And she still has that problem after she changes. 

C2: So, it's sort of a bad apple.

C1: I thought the scariest part was when the flying baboon jumped out of the mist in the graveyard. It was scary. 

C2: I liked the part where they took over the Emerald City and performed a big magic trick. It was really cool. I also liked the beginning of the war with the scarecrow men and the poppies. 

C1: And it's going to be like 60 years before Dorothy gets there.


So we have something to look forward to?

C1/C2: Yep

Film Score: 
Cousin #1: 4/5
Cousin #2: 3.5/5
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...